The Nonprofit Strategy Revolution
Real-Time Strategic Planning in a Rapid-Response World
This groundbreaking book, originally published in 2008, introduces a nimble and powerful alternative to traditional strategic planning. “Real-Time Strategic Planning” is a fluid, organic process that helps nonprofits identify, understand, and act on challenges and opportunities as they arise — today, not in six months when the “new plan” is done. In 2018, The Nonprofit Strategy Revolution Second Edition was released and features a timely new Preface and Introduction by David La Piana, updated content drawing on a decade of experience since first publication, five new tools supporting strategy development and execution, and more.
At the heart of this practical book is the Real-Time Strategic Planning (RTSP) Cycle.
Inside, you’ll find tools for:
- Clarifying your competitive advantage — where your organization fits in its marketplace, who your competitors are, and what sets you apart from the pack.
- Generating a strategy screen — criteria for evaluating strategies on an ongoing basis, allowing you to respond quickly and confidently.
- Handling big questions — the opportunities or threats that require development of a new strategy in order to respond.
- Developing and testing strategies — reduce the chances of picking the wrong strategy.
- Implementing and adapting strategies — learn how to continuously probe for crises and opportunities — not just once every three years.
Instead of a hodgepodge of unrelated goals and activities that ultimately lead to inertia or even total chaos, you’ll learn to develop true strategies — coordinated actions that pull the organization in the same direction, toward the same ends. That is revolutionary.
This 10th Anniversary edition is a valuable tool for organizational leaders, capacity builders, and students of nonprofit management.